International River Rating System and Suggested Skill Requirements
The international rating system is used to classify river difficulty. The difficulty can change dramatically with the seasonal flow variation. If an overall rating is applied to a river, you may expect to encounter occasional rapids at a higher grade.
The skill levels suggested are a guide to help you decide the grade of river to paddle.
| River Grade || Description || Skills Suggested
||Passages clear except for minor obstructions. Small, regular rapids. Easily navigated passages.
||Knows the basic strikes and can competently handle the boat in smooth water. (Novice)
||Most passages clear, though may be narrow. Fairly frequent rapids. Regular, medium-sized waves, low ledges, sweepers and logjams may be present.
||Requires competent maneuvering. Can effectively use all the basic strokes, ferry and eddy in smooth flowing water. Knows the basics of reading water. Developing rescue skills. (Novice to Intermediate)
||Rapids numerous. Waves high, powerful, irregular, exposed rocks and strong eddies. Prior inspection may be required.
||Can negotiate fast, turbulent waters which require complex sequences of maneuvers. Can give assistance to swamped boats. (Intermediate to Advanced)
||Long stretches of difficult rapids. Waves high, powerful and irregular; dangerous exposed rocks, boiling eddies; ledges, passages difficult to scout.
||Powerful and precise maneuvering required. Preferably run with a previously experienced leader. (Experts only)
||Very difficult. Considerable risk.
||(Teams of experts only)
||Extraordinarily difficult. Portage mandatory.
- Many Alberta rivers are very cold, hypothermia is a very real and constant danger. Overestimating skill levles and underestimating grade can lead to potentially risky situations.
- These guides are for river paddling. Flatwater has it's own guide and rating system. The club will be posting them shortly.
- A beginner is not a paddler who has stepped into a boat for the first time, but one with knowledge of the basic paddling strokes. Skills shown are those preferred for a certain grade of river. If you would like to try a higher graded trip, discuss it with the leader beforehand.
- In tandem paddling, the team must be able to maneuver the boat as required, but both paddlers do not necessarily have to be equally skilled. However, both paddlers should posses the minimum skill level, as a boat is only as capable as its least experienced crew member. No amount of skill can be transferred in an emergency.
- River grades are given for normal flow conditions. Very high or very low water levels may markedly affect the difficulty, in either direction, so marginal skills may be inadequate under certain conditions.
- For wilderness canoe/camping or extended trips, all paddlers should be thoroughly competent in the skills required for that grade of river. The group should also have related camping, first aid and survival skills.
<< May 2013 >>
| Su || Mo || Tu || We || Th || Fr || Sa |
| || || || 1|| 2|| 3|| 4|
| 5|| 6|| 7|| 8|| 9||10||11|
May 26, 2013
North Saskatshewan River (Genesee Gun Cl...
Jun 01, 2013 - Jun 02, 2013
Pembina Club Weekend
Jun 07, 2013 - Jun 09, 2013
Grande Cache Whitewater Rendezvous
Jun 08, 2013 - Jun 09, 2013
Red Deer River (Blackfalds to HW 21
Jun 15, 2013 - Jun 16, 2013
McLeod River (Mercoal to McLeod River R...
Jun 23, 2013
Introduction to Poling a Canoe
Jun 23, 2013
AFKA Harvie Passage Hometown Throwdown
Jun 29, 2013 - Jul 01, 2013
Maligne Lake (Canceled - no place on t...
Jun 29, 2013 - Jul 14, 2013
South Nahanni River
Jul 13, 2013 - Jul 14, 2013
North Saskatshewan River (Victoria to Du...
Jul 14, 2013
Brierley's Hometown Throwdown
Jul 21, 2013
North Saskatshewan River (Laurier park t...
Jul 26, 2013 - Jul 28, 2013
Sundre Whitewater Paddlefest
Jul 27, 2013 - Jul 28, 2013
Red Deer River (Content bridge to Drumhe...
Aug 03, 2013 - Aug 05, 2013
Aug 03, 2013 - Aug 05, 2013
Athabasca River (Berland river to Whitec...
Aug 09, 2013 - Aug 11, 2013
Aug 24, 2013 - Aug 25, 2013
North Saskatshewan River (Rampart Creek ...
Aug 31, 2013 - Sep 02, 2013
Sep 15, 2013
North Saskatshewan River (50 str. to F...
Sep 21, 2013 - Sep 22, 2013
Bow River (Banff To Canmore) and Lower K...
Oct 06, 2013
Season close out trip
Oct 12, 2013 - Oct 14, 2013
North Saskatshewan River ( Nordegg to Ro...